On August 17, 1894, the Tariff Act of 1894 stated corporations would be taxed, but exemptions were given to charitable organizations. Thus we have National Nonprofit Day! While we’re not entirely sure who created this day, we’re happy to celebrate it. 🙂
Here are a few ideas of how to celebrate:
1. Learn about local nonprofits. There is often more to these organizations than their mission statements.
2. Discuss a nonprofit. Some of the greatest publicity and support a nonprofit can receive is from people telling people about their mission, programs, and successes. We’d love to hear about the organizations you’re supporting — why, how, etc.
3. Follow a nonprofit on social media. When companies or grants are looking to see if an organization should receive a donation, they will sometimes check the followers on social media to see if there is community support.
4. Donate. Many small nonprofits have a small staff or are 100% volunteer (like We Are Creed). They depend on donations to make a difference in their community and globally. A $10 donation from several people can make a big difference.
5. Volunteer. If making a difference is important, look to see which of your skills and interests can help a nonprofit. Not every nonprofit will be the best fit, but there are organizations out there that will greatly appreciate your time and efforts.
Nonprofit are amazing organizations and we greatly appreciate all the work they do in our communities.
We also thank everyone who has made We Are Creed successful this year and hope to continue spreading the love of reading to all!